The Altera® Nebulizer was specifically designed for Cayston®. The Altera® is light, portable and FDA-approved. It uses state-of-the-art vibrating membrane technology for quick nebulization.
IV Solutions is one of three U.S. pharmacies that provide the Altera® Nebulizer System. IV Solutions has dispensed Cayston® & Altera® to Cystic Fibrosis patients since it was first approved by the FDA in 2010.
Components of the Altera®
The system was made with eFlow Technology and serves as the controller and power source (known as the eBase by PARI) of the nebulizer. It runs on four AA batteries, or the option to plug it into an outlet.
The handset is where the saline solution and Cayston® medication is mixed. It is an easy to use hand held device where the treatments are performed through the mouthpiece.
Tips for Altera® Nebulizer System
- Do not use any other medication in the Nebulizer Handset other than Cayston®.
- Do not take Cayston® using any other nebulizer.
- If CF patients who are prescribed a bronchodilator, Mucolytics, and Cayston®. Take the medications in this order:
- Bronchodilator: helps open your lungs
- Mucolytics: helps clear mucus from lungs
- Make sure treatments are at least four hours apart
- Don’t mix Cayston® with the saline until you are about to use it
- Don’t use Cayston® that is stored at room temperature for longer than 28 days
- The handset should be cleaned and dried properly after treatment to avoid the risk of illness and infections.
Here are further resources regarding the Altera®:
For more information visit: https://www.cayston.com/hcp/cayston-dosing-and-administration/altera-nebulizer.html